General Hospital #4
Information about General Hospital #4 in Richmond, VA during the Civil War.
General Hospital #4 was also called Baptist Institute Hospital, Officers' Hospital, and Institute Hospital. It was formerly the Richmond Female Institute, a Baptist school for girls.
General Hospital #4 opened in mid-1861 and was still in operation in late-1864. It had a capacity over 300 patients. Dr. James P. Reed was the surgeon-in-charge.
It was a four-storied, turreted building located facing the east-side of 10th Street, just north of Marshall. The building stood until the school was merged with University of Richmond [Baptist] in 1914 and was replaced by the Virginia Mechanics Institute building.
It was for the use of officers only after January 8, 1863. The hospital was then used as an office building by the Federal occupation forces.
From Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond by Robert W. Waitt, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964.