General Hospital #23
Information about General Hospital #23/Liggon's Prison/Prison Depot in Richmond, VA during the Civil War.
General Hospital #23 functioned as both a prison (Liggon's Prison) and hospital during the Civil War.
General Hospital #23 was also called Ligon’s Factory Hospital, Liggon Factory Hospital, Ligion Factory Hospital, Prison Depot, and Prison No. 1. It was formerly the tobacco factory of John L. Ligon.
John. L. Ligon's Tobacco Warehouse was confiscated during the early part of 1861 and was used as a prison for Federal soldiers. This building later became General Hospital #23. This building was at times used as a hospital for Libby Prison, and for baggage storage. It had 45 employees.
General Hospital #23 was located on the southeast corner of 25th and Main Streets.
From Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond by Robert W. Wait, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964.)