General Hospital #22
Information about General Hospital #22 in Richmond, VA during the Civil War.
General Hospital #22 functioned as both a prison and a hospital during the Civil War.
General Hospital #22 was also called Howard’s Factory Hospital, Howard Hospital, and North Carolina Hospital. It was formerly the tobacco factory of George D. Howard Company which was a three-storied, A-roofed, brick building.
The hospital was opened in 1862 and closed on July 22, 1864. It had a capacity of about 110 with 44 employees. Dr. Addison C. Fox was the surgeon-in-charge. It was "Praised for good work with desperate cases" on May 19, 1863.
General Hospital #22 was located on the north side of Main street on the northeast corner of 26th. Atkinson's Factory appears to be the same building.
From Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond by Robert W. Wait, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964.)