From the Richmond Dispatch, 3/9/1866, p. 1, c. 3

THE DISTURBANCE AT CHIMBORAZO ON FRIDAY LAST. – John Wright, Matthew Burke, George Smith, William Jackson, A. W. Johnson, Shadrack Jasper, George Jefferson, W. H. Lewis, Thomas Jackson, John Green, and Andrew Whiting, all negroes, were tried at the Provost Court yesterday, by Judge McEntee, on the charge of being implicated in the shooting and rioting at Chimborazo on Friday night last. Lieutenant Merrill, of the Freedmen’s Court, appeared as counsel for the prisoners.

It appeared from the evidence that a young man named Adams was returning home on Friday, at about half-past 10 o’clock P. M., and that at the corner of Twenty-Eighth and Cary streets he saw a crowd of armed negroes. He gave them a wide berth and got out of their way. Just as he turned the corner of Twenty-eighth street, he met another party, one of whom challenged him. He asked what they wanted, and as he did so, he heard the clicking of the locks as the negroes cocked their guns. This induced him to run, and immediately he was fired at, one musket ball grazing his left temple, and a pistol ball inflicting a painful wound in his left arm. Policeman D. Allen deposed that he was one of the party sent out under Sergeant Baptist, of the police, to disperse a crowd of negroes reported to be assembled near Chimborazo. When they neared the spot, fifteen or twenty shots were fired, but none of the police were hit. The police then fired and advanced, the negroes retreating and firing. Soon afterwards, some one cried out, “Halt! who goes there?” to which Sergeant Baptist replied, “Police!” Who are you?” Two unarmed negroes then came forward, and said they did not belong to the party that fired, and that they lived there. A moment later a report was heard and a ball whistled by the police, who again advanced, firing. The police continued the pursuit until their ammunition was all expended, when they retired.

Sergeant Clacker, who was in charge of the guard at the Libby Prison, testified that at about 10:30 P. M. on Friday, two citizens came down to the prison, and stated that their lives and property were endangered by a large concourse of armed negroes who had assembled near Chimborazo. He took a squad of six men and went down at once, being guided by the firing, which was quite brisk. Near Bloody run he joined the police, who had retired to that point, and the whole party of police and soldiers moved briskly forward. As they neared the bridge some one cried out, “For God’s sake make haste, they’ll murder us!” The party then advanced at a double-quick, crossed the bridge, and divided into three detachments. Eleven negroes were captured by the police. One negro, who was actually seen to be engaged in the shooting, was struck on the head by Policeman Ball, but was not identified.

At the conclusion of the evidence, an alibi was proved for five of the prisoners. The Court was satisfied that none of the prisoners had been identified as having been actually concerned in the affair, and they were accordingly all discharged.

Go to top