From the Richmond Dispatch, 5/30/1868, p. 1, c. 4
BELVIDERE BAPTIST CHURCH. – A committee of three has been appointed by this church to canvass the city for subscriptions to aid in building a new house of worship. The old one was built some sixteen years ago for a Sabbath-school room. It is much too small for church purposes, and, besides its out-of-the-way location, is in wretched repair. Sometime ago the Church purchased a desirable lot, well-situated, on Pine street, and paid for it, and they now, for the first time, appeal to their friends and the public to come forward and aid them in this their time of need. The projected building, it is estimated, will cost about $10,000. The church is a prosperous one of about one hundred communicants. Rev. John M. Butler is pastor.