From the Richmond Dispatch, 10/23/1862, p. 1, c. 6

Mayor's Court, Wednesday, October 22d. - John Miller was sent to the Grand Jury, and committed in default of surety, to appear in three cases; the first to answer for living with Mary Wolff in Jail Alley, not being married to her; the second for being father to several illegitimate children, and the third, for making a violent assault on said Mary Wolff. The latter was lectured on the impropriety of her mode of living, and required to give ball to be of good behavior and keep the peace, which requisition she did not comply with.

B. F. Miller was required to give $200 security to be of good behavior, on the complaint of Mary Webster, a lady who spoke very broken English, but managed to make herself understood to the extent above mentioned. Defendant plead intoxication, but the Mayor said that was no excuse.

Joseph Bazzell, a free negro without the necessary documents to show the fact, was committed for want of a register.

James J Cox, the keeper of a boarding-house on 9th street, between Cary and Main, was arrested and brought before the Mayor, charged with keeping a house of ill fame. Certain of his boarders, who gave the names of John H. Baldwin, George Johnson, William Farrer, James Anderson, Simon Lubick, Lewis Stanley, William Riley, Charles H. Edgecomb, and William H. Watkins, were also taken in custody and brought before the Mayor as persons of suspicious character, having no visible means of support. Officer Morris, of the police force, deposed that he had occasion to watch the house of Cox; that he had seen the arrested parties go in and out at unusual hours of the night; that they never appeared to have any employment save walking between Cox's house and standing on the corner at "Solitude," a notorious locality on Cary street. Sundry bowie knives and pistols, and one slung-shot, were exhibited as having been captured at the rendezvous of Cox. When the latter hired the tenement, which he did of Mr. Bowlin, he represented himself as from New Kent county, Va., but it was proved that he really came from North Carolina. All of the man looked stout and able-bodied, and were liable to conscript duty. Baldwin, one of the men, represented himself as a Lieutenant in a Louisiana regiment, and showed a discharge from General Hospital, No. 6, dated October 4, ordering him to report immediately for duty.—Col. Noland, President of the Court Martial, being summoned as a witness, said that in time of war two days was regarded as ample time in which to get together one's traps and report for duty. The Mayor said he would release all the parties on their furnishing good and sufficient ball in the sum of $500 each to appear for further examination on Thursday (to-day) week. None of them gave the surety demanded, and all were sent to jail. The accused were arrested on a warrant from the Mayor Wednesday evening, by a Mr. Hirsch, whose bakery had been robbed by four men, who pretended to be Provost Guards and in search of liquor. While two went in the rear to search, two staid in front and robbed his till of $60. He described to the Mayor very accurately one or more of the men arrested as of the four, but through fear or some other reason was unable to identify positively any of them.

Thomas Coppagus, a small man, with foreign look and accent, was arraigned for threatening to assault and beat Catherine Harrington. Having announced to the Mayor his intention of persisting in the course which caused his arrest, the latter required $150 security to keep the peace, and the like sum to appear before the Grand Jury and answer an indictment. He found a voucher and was discharged.

William S. Conley was examined for cutting Mary J. McMinn a few nights since, on 2d street, and was committed for examination before a Court of Hustings, summoned to be held on October 27th.

Patrick Kelley, alias John Simmons, a sailor, was arraigned for acting disorderly in the street and attempting to break down the gate of Dudley Gilman, one of the city watch. Mr. Gilman, who lives on 17th street, testified that he had been sent for by one of his neighbors to repress the rowdy doings of Kelley, alias Simmons, and that the latter, getting enraged, had followed him, and was cutting up the antics complained of, when officer Perrin came along and carried him to the cage as a disturber of the peace. Committed in default of security for good behavior.

Marshall, a dingy looking country darkey, arrested for stealing a bushel of flour from the bakery at Camp Winder Hospital, confessed himself guilty, as appeared from the testimony of watchman Franklin, who arrested him, and was ordered a thrashing.

Thadeus A. Waston, charged with drunkeness and disorderly conduct at Steinline's, Broad street, Wednesday night, gave ball for his appearance on Thursday, in the moles above referred to Peter Lawson, jr., was cut on the arm with a knife, but not by Watson, as he testified.

John and James Barry, two brothers, sent on to Court to be tried for Henry Ross, on the 13th of last February, on Byrd, between 10th and 11th streets, were arraigned for murder. Ross having died from the effects of his wounds. They were sent on to a Court, Oct. 27th, and committed to jail.

Go to top