General Hospital #9 was also called Seabrook's Hospital, Receiving Hospital, Receiving and Wayside Hospital, Receiving and Way Hospital, and Receiving and Distributing Hospital. It was formerly the municipal-owned public warehouse known as Seabrook.
Built in 1810 by John Seabrook as a tobacco warehouse, it was acquired by the City and used for a century before its demolition. It was known as "the billboard of Richmond" because it was always well "papered" with show and circus sheets, announcements, and political placards.
The hospital was opened about June 1862 and was still used late in the War. It functioned as a receiving hospital because of its nearness to the Virginia Central Railroad depot.
General Hospital #9 had a capacity of over 900 patients with about 150 employees. A report of October 1864 showed that for July-August-September 10,100 patients entered, 9,663 were transferred, 96 died, and 341 were on hand. Dr. John James Gravatt was the surgeon-in-charge.
General Hospital #9 was located on the north side of Grace Street between 17th and 18th Streets.
From Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond by Robert W. Waitt, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964.