From the Richmond Dispatch, 7/10/1866, p. 1, c. 6
THE NEW MECHANICSVILLE TURNPIKE COMPANY. – A short time since an association of our most enterprising gentlemen bought out all the rights and franchises of the Mechanicsville Turnpike Company, with the intention of putting it in immediate and thorough repair, and of making it one of the best roads in this portion of the State. A large force of carts and laborers are now at work on the road, and it is the intention of the energetic owners to have it put in the very best order throughout its whole length.
This road, when finished, will supply a deficiency which has long existed in our community; that is, a good and pleasant drive. After getting to Howard’s Grove, the road is nearly level, until it reaches the Chickahominy, and it then passes through a rich country, with beautiful farm – houses on each side and fine farms in a high state of cultivation. No more pleasant method of spending an afternoon will be found than in a drive over the nicely-rounded and graveled bed of the Mechanicsville pike. If additional inducements were wanting, we might mention that much of its length runs through classic ground. At Mechanicsville, near its eastern terminus, some of the hardest fighting of the “seven days around Richmond” was done. It was a few miles north of this spot that General A. P. Hill crossed the Chickahominy and struck the first blow in the great fight; and a few miles south of this point, while the forces of the same general were continuing an unequal contest, the guns of “Stonewall” Jackson were heard away down to the east, inspiring them with new courage until, with a yell, they dashed on their opponents, and the field was won.
Our old friend Keesee, too, will be at the same old stand with his smiling face, and will receive the fractional currency necessary to pay the toll.